Sunday, June 6, 2010

Aunty Rendang


The awesome lady I buy my Saturday Curry Rendang from.

My assignment was due, I sincerely had nobody to interview for my descriptive essay. If I couldn't hand something up, all manner of indescribably doom would befall me. Suddenly, it hit me when I was walking about worriedly in my Uni Campus. Why not interview the nice, warm aunty who sells me that gloriously familiar curry rendang every saturday? And so I asked her while buying my SatCuRendang.

"Can I interview you ah mak cik?"

"Can, but now I very busy. Come back at 4pm"

"Alot of people interview you ah?"

"Got," she says.

Wow, apparently I wasn't the only one who wanted to interview this culinary superstar. I bet I wasn't the first Malaysian/Singaporean arts student looking around for someone to interview. Oh wells. She's an experienced interviewee, I knew I was in for entertaining times.

So I met her for the interview in her coffee store. It's homely, warm and comfortable, with shelves lined with magazine. "Please buy if you want to read." Heh. That's why I bring my own magazine on saturday mornings.

The interview was awesome. She's everything a Malaysian aunty is. And more. I ask questions while scribbling furiously with my pen on paper. It's as though I'm in some indie movie documenting the aunties who sell SatCuRendang! She tells me about her husband who's an engineer working in Sinagporean Airlines, about her farm (a FARM?) and her life back in Singapore.

Her personality mimics her store, its warm and disarming. She is charming, in an auntie sort of way.

"I am super wife!" she says when she's describing her life at home.

As the interview came to an end, her sister or friend or her I-dunno-who-she-is-cause-I-didn't-ask walks over to say goodbye. Yes, Australian businesses close at five.

Their goodbye is hilarious! "OKAY! BYE! PIUP PIUP PIUP PIUP!" (mimicking air kissing noises)

Awesome interview. Saved my butt too.

No comments:

My Blog List