Thursday, December 4, 2008

Pasar Malam!!! or Night Market.

I am from Malaysia, born in Malaysia, raised in Zimbabwe and the furthest I've ever been out of this country would be Australia, and that was this year. In fact, the only thing I've known about other countries, cuisine and hang out spots would be on Astro's Travel and Living with the Wright dude. Born and bred Malaysian. 

However, today was fascinating. I headed off to Matthias' house to be invited(I invited myself) over to the pasar malam. Since I was hungry, like I always am, I was excited with the notion f filling up my belly with the usual dry and friend stuff. 

When I got there, it was all so exciting! This was the first time  had ever been to the OUG Pasar Malam, even if it was only a mile away from my house. The movie sellers where the best. They had Blu-ray tech on their wooden tables as well as; I kid you not, Kungfu Panda 2. In my righteous anger, I overturned their tables and trampled over their pirated merchandise. The scum. Wandering away after the chaos, my eyes caught sight of an extremely inviting wan tan stall that sold wan tan alone! Who sells that!? I gleefully ordered eight of those things and shoved them into my mouth. That was the beginning of my gluttony.  

There were so many people, and enough hair dye to pollute the Nile river. In the more popular areas one could seriously wind up being compressed. Thank God the whole place actually smelt pleasant with fried, steamed, baked and goodness knows what else wafting through the air and molesting my nose. People actually smelt good too! No, I didn't stick my nose into the first armpit I saw. The lalas and the rockers actually showered before coming, it all smelt like fragrance and shokobutsu whenever I had to push past people. 

I often wondered where the teenage female population of Oug was. I found them. Finally. Yes. I was awesome. 

Food was lovely. Seriously, I had this mega wierded out sausage like thingy was smashingly delicious! Forget the Germans and their Bratwurst, or the British and their British sausages, the Italians and their Italian sausage or the Siberians and their Siberian sausage. Meet THE garlic sausage. I didn't taste any form of garlic in it; however, it was sort of sweet and salty! With that magical bite to it. I was in love. 

The next would be steamboat. Only, I didn't pay much attention to the goodies that had to be steamed before eating. One of the things on that sushi king wannabe lorry would be this metal bowl that had bits of decapitated animal in black sauce. It was roughly duck or pork liver, tied with an edible chord to what looked like a piece of fat. Intruiged and hungry, I looked over to aunty Mag for assurance before trying it. Taking small bites; the first nibble caught on to a piece of salty, bitter "liver". The second went straight for the deliciously sweet fat. Then I realized, you had to put both in your mouth at the same time! Explains why both pieces were tied up together. Following the implied directions. I tried both at the same time and the pieces exploded in my mouth! My face looked enraptured and I couldn't stop saying how good it was! It was so fantastic; I nearly took another, before wondering what it really was and how exactly it was cooked. 
Of course, that was nearing the end of the night. However, with good often comes the bad, and I was definitely treated to the bad as well. Sugar Cane juice. More like slightly sugared water with too much ice in it. That completely washed away any sense of goodness I still had in my mouth and left me high and dry; in a gastronomical sense.

Having done that, a dear friend had the generosity to share his _______ with me. That was delicious. Yes it was, reminded me so much of roti canai though. Aunty Mag then gave me a lift home to a night of blasting Zombies with Matthew.


No comments:

My Blog List