Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The Day a Boy Becomes A Man

Amazing how the body reacts when its nervous. he heart races as uncomfortable adrenaline pulses through your veins and all sleepiness vanishes, leaving you very much scared and awake. Even though you feel very sleepy and tired. That was the night before.

Right now, I'm in the Kancil, the car actually seems decent. In fact, while waiting for the exam to begin I was entertained most of the time, mostly thanks to an Indian girl who unfortunately accelerated into the rear bumper of a chinese dude and partly thanks to the tense but friendly company around me. The instructors look completely the same, only this time, the one manningThe Slope was a very grumpy looking JPJ lady. Her frown never once left her face; thank God I didn't see her yet.

I checked the clutch level, it was fine, the steering was slightly assisted and the accelerator was standard. I promised myself I wouldn't scream or panick as a so embarrasingly did the last time.

A malay dude in sunglasses pointed at me and motioned me up The Slope, I left my nervousness and let my recklessness lift my foot of the cluth, then came my right foot down on the accelerator. As my car pulled up the slope, I was surprised at how little came through my mind aside from that fast raising tension to slam the brakes down. Half way up, the clutch went down and I let my Kancil slide forward. Now. It stopped.

Yes! I was perfectly on that yellow line! My prayers were half fulfilled! I pulled up the handbrake three times, as I looked hurriedly around the controls and signalled the the grouchy examiner. She was talking to another person! My foot slowly left the brake and my car creaked downwards ever so slightly. That was enough, I left my foot slightly on the brake. I looked to my left and noticed a fellow friend up the slope with me and we exchanged looks that conveyed my nearly relieved feeling and her troubled situation. I put my hand up again. The examiner finally noticed me and pointed down the slope. My car roared then purred as it struggled against the handbrake. I let it loose and it rolled uncomplainingly down The Slope. Yes! I have conquered you.

I released the clutch and let my car work its way over the the parking area of the exam. Suddenly, I heard a the sound of a pole being hit by a car. Not very pretty at all.

Parking went perfectly as well, thanks in most part to the formula subscribed by my intructor and many tense prayers. I worked fast, deftly switching between first gear and reverse and turned the steering wheel as strongly as I could. It was all over in about two minutes. The examiner motioned me off to the three point turn.

At that time, everything was pretty much going enjoyably pleasant. However, falling down at the end of a race doesn't qualify one for a medal. I refused to take things easy. Once again I worked the first and reverse gear and acted through the entire routine whithout problems.

It was satisfying, releaving and marvelous as I saw a not so grumpy JpJ lady tick off every "lulus" box and motioned me to sign. Yes, i've passed it all, from the scaling of mount everest with a monster to the precision of a brain surgery with a 700 pound scapel, I passed(indulge me lah!) It was the day a boy becomes a man. Now if only mom would let me drive.

No comments:

My Blog List