Thursday, May 21, 2009

Ants!

The Bible, I admit; may not be the most interesting of all books to me. After all, mortals like me much prefer the allure of Archie and friends to David and his merry men cutting the foreskins off hundreds of Phillistines. To boring people with boring imaginations that are made dull by the constant cutting of television and video games, the Bible is a dull place. I am beginning to rediscover the movie trailer excitement the Bible offers. 

However, as I am typing this. Not working, lifting weights or studying like I should be. I ponder about what the Bible has to say about people who prefer to slack off and the Bible immediately shouts in my ear. ANTS. 

Those little twerps God is using to make us, giant supremely intelligent beings seem small must be smugly twitching their arrogant little antennae. We sorta expect ourselves to be given lessons from, perhaps, the Lion or maybe the eagle. But the Bible goes and says,"the ant. Stop watching discovery channel and look at the coke stain you left on the table. Learn from those little guys. 

The army of the ants. Trudging on under the scathing heat of summer, scrambling during the cool of spring and autumn and finally feasting on regurgitated vitamins during winter work all day. They march about without a leader, an army without general, commander or sergeant. And they still manage to haul huge dead insects into their complex complexes and form unstoppable rivers of red through dense forests. Simply eating, chewing or walking around and above anything in their path. They build towering fortresses, untouchable by a desert's weather and deep underground bunkers, able to survive the savagery of a forest. 

All through hard, unceasing work. And they do it unsupervised. 

I am embarrased. I have been thought a lesson by an ant. Somehow, perhaps this is justice, after all, we never gave a second thought about the humble ant. We never really wondered about all of this when we sprayed cans of biochemical materials all over them. I never really bothered when I squashed them for my own amusement. ( evil I know, but who hasn't done it?)

Yet these picked on creatures are found in most every household, and is personally regareded as one of natures most tenacious insects. If ants were human, oceans would be drained to make land for suburbs, mountains turned into shopping malls and valleys turned into (insert something cool, and industrious and human ants can do; I've run out of ideas)

Perhaps I should learn from the ant. But I'm sleepy.  

No comments:

My Blog List