Friday, May 29, 2009

Bullets

Bullets ripped around me as I dashed forwards. Finger on the trigger button as my RPD chattered violently at the angry yellow flying from a building towards me. I knew who I was fighting, I had taunted him a month ago online. And there he was, crosshair over my head, catridge full and now firing at me. 


I was frightened. I knew that out of a hundred bullets I had, I've just used twenty bullets covering my rush. Stopping for a breather in a bombed out building, I paused for a breath and reloaded my weapon. I might need more than a few pieces of lead to take this guy out. All the while, I was reloading, team mates were dying, enemy fire was lethal; fire all all different kinds proved to be murderous. However, my mates in arms where cutting a swath of their own. Bombs fell. I decided to run again. 

  Charging on the right of the building where I knew Daryl was standing in wait to plug my skull with .45 caliber bullets. Still trying to flank him, I killed an enemy. An easy job, he was a sniper too engrossed with his prey to notice that hunter had become hunted. I didn't wait to savour my small victory as my kill appeared on the tally board. Daryl was to my left, still alive and firing. 

Flicking my eyes, to the left of the screen,I noticed Daryl had taken out two friendlies in a row. Another and he would have radar, which made it possible to realize he was being flanked by a guy with a huge soviet-era machine gun. He could not get another kill I realized almost instantly. A radar also meant that all my teamates would be exposed and hunted down easily. Thankfully, he was camping. Like the camper he is. 

As I jumped above the wall into an abandoned HQ directly behind where my target was standing. I realized things had become oddly silent. Machine guns did not have their menacing chatter, sniper rifles did not have a terrifying Booms and rifles did not whisper. I wondered why, only to realize that the wind of battle had changed. It was now defensive match. Opposing teams sat silently in shadows with their guns pointed at where they thought Daryl and his friends were doing the same. The report of a machine gunner firing as he tried his luck was heard. I hoped the idiot wasn't a friendly. He was. 

Instantly, I knew a red dot would flash on every enemy's radar reporting the twit's position. In the next mili second, every enemy had his guns pointed on my friend. Next, hell broke loose as bursts of fire echoed by the successive booms of sniper fire sealing his fate. Then a whisper from a rifle and his name appeared on my screen. Another dead I thought, then my hair stood on end. Daryl had taken the kill. 

Our entire team's position revealed, fire broke loose from both sides. Bullets recreated what seemed like an orchestra of flying metal. At that moment, I was in position behind my quarry and I searched the screen for a tell tale sign of Daryl.

Flipping on his radar garnered from his last kill, Daryl spotted on his radar a single red dot flashing behind him. He whizzed around and began tapping shots inches away from where I was standing. 

Then I spotted him. 


There he was, firing bursts from his carbine, his character staring blankly back at mine. This was a grudge, no mercy would be shown too much male ego and pride rested on this. I ran for cover as his shots plinked quietly around me. Ironic, that death would be so silent. A silence. He was out of bullets!!

       Seizing that moment, I dashed out of cover and unloaded into the building I knew he was in. I fired through the wall, guessing where he would be as both the buildings we were in lighted rhythmically. He ducked out of cover and fired on me. And I brought my machine gun to bear on him. Both of us strafed left and right, trying to avoid each other and of course, to kill. Finally, after fifteen bullets. Daryl's character paused. Then fell to the ground. 

I had won.

My teams victory followed and Daryl had to eat humble pie. 

No comments:

My Blog List